As new food safety risks continue to emerge, food manufacturers and processors are looking at prevention strategies vis-à-vis material cleanliness, bacterial resistance and deterioration potential. Success depends, in part, on belt choice. Many operational factors contribute to the performance and hygiene of your belts, so prioritizing effective, robust belt qualities will be increasingly important.
Microbes and water are daily realities and, to an extent, necessities in food processing. However, they can pose a downside under certain conditions. Ineffective control of microbial activity and excessively hot water can lead to belt damage and introduce food safety risks. In addition to the estimated 9.3 million food-borne pathogen related illnesses reported in the U.S each year, nearly half of all food recalls are due to microbiological contamination. The latter can cost a company an average of $10 million in wasted product—not to mention the potential resulting brand damage and lost sales.
These are key reasons why it’s critical to ensure your belts are designed to continuously defend against contamination⏤especially when processing foods particularly susceptible to microbial influence like raw meats, poultry and dairy products. Now more than ever, given the risks to the food supply chain, food processors must take extra measures to ensure optimal sanitation and safety across their lines.
Successful belt hygiene starts with the belt material
Standard monolithic belts are commonly susceptible to attack from a variety of fungi and bacteria that feed and sustain themselves on certain thermoplastic polyurethane materials. Additionally, hot water (140º F/60º C and higher) can readily decompose and degrade typical monolithic belts.
At the end of the day, to avoid contamination and potential food recalls, you need a belt made of durable material that withstands both bacterial digestion and growth as well as hot water-related deterioration (hydrolysis).
Fortunately, the Habasit Cleandrive lug drive provides big advantages on a molecular level. Like other Cleandrive belts, the lug drive’s premium polyurethane formulation provides exceptional microbial and hydrolysis resistance⏤delivering a reliable, food-safe solution that’s USDA-certified for meat, poultry and dairy processing. The durable construction, ultra-smooth finish and well contoured drive surfaces of Cleandrive belts, like the lug drive, also improve the speed and effectiveness of cleaning and sanitation processes.
But what does all this really mean?
- Elevated food safety through optimized cleaning and maximized sanitation
- Reduced belt deterioration from hydrolysis and related surface crevices and cracking where microbes can harbor and grow
- Extended belt life and reduced replacement-related costs in some applications through more effective material properties
- Enhanced inspector confidence in belt hygiene since the material resists microbial action and other process-related deterioration⏤maintaining a like-new condition over time
All in all, Habasit Cleandrive lug drive was made to:
- Help lower the overall risk of food contamination;
- Enhance your position in supporting food safety; and
- Reinforce your business position through increased uptime and throughput, a strengthened brand and an improved efficiency ratio.
Durable construction for improved food safety
The Habasit Cleandrive lug drive is the most reliable, hygienic belt available for food processing. To learn more about how this new and innovative food-safe belt can help reduce your contamination risk, contact us today.